Kevin Nash to be Inducted into WWE Hall of Fame

Mandatory Credit: WWE.com

The speculation and rumors of the past few months can officially be laid to rest as former six-time World Heavyweight champion Kevin Nash will be the final inductee into WWE Hall of Fame, as announced by Rolling Stone.

Nash, 55, is a 25-year veteran of the professional wrestling industry. Beginning his career with the now defunct WCW, the near seven-foot tall Nash went through several gimmicks with the company, ultimately never finding a niche for himself in the company.

After leaving WCW, Nash made his way to the WWF under the name 'Diesel', as he caught the eye of Shawn Michaels, one of the WWF's top performers. As Nash told Rolling Stone, making the move the WWF is what helped skyrocket his career.
"Shawn seeing me as Vinnie Vegas on WCW TV, asking Vince to bring me in as a bodyguard, that's where I learned the business," Nash says. "Sitting ringside, watching Shawn and Scott Hall work, all of my progression was because of them. The exposure I got because of that changed my career forever, and I'm eternally grateful to Shawn and Scott and Vince McMahon, because WCW couldn't do anything with me."
During his time with the WWF, Nash held the WWF championship for nearly a year, becoming one of the top big men of both his generation and of all-time. However, Nash bolted back to WCW with the promise of a lighter work schedule and more money. It was that move that helped establish the former college basketball player as one of the top names in wrestling.

As five years passed, Nash solidified himself as a legend in the business. Five different reigns as WCW World heavyweight champion, along with being a founding father of the nWo, the most popular faction of all-time, his impact on wrestling couldn't be denied.

When he did leave to return to WCW, Nash and his longtime friend Scott Hall managed to secure guaranteed contracts for themselves. A concept that had been unprecedented at that juncture but one that Nash is proud to have achieved for future generations of wrestlers.
"When people write articles about why I should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, inevitably they always mention something about all of that," he says. "To be honest, I think the thing I'm most proud of is that I always viewed this as a business, and without me doing some of those things, this business wouldn't be as lucrative for some of the guys as it is today.
WCW closed down in 2001, and Nash continued to wrestle. He returned to the WWE for two separate stints in 2002 and 2011, returning to the company he once deserted.  Also, Nash acted in a slew of movies, including the now popular 'Magic Mike' movies.

Now, as he enters the WWE Hall of Fame, Nash is appreciative of the honor and the legacy he was able to leave behind and the life he provided for himself.
"I've been called just about everything, but this is the first time I'll be called a Hall of Famer. It's nice," Nash laughs. "It's been a long 25 years, but this business has been great to me. Without wrestling, there's no way I'd be where I am today. I'd probably own a strip club someplace."



Mark Suleymanov

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram